Koala Tea

Susan Robinson
September 14, 2020


Talking of teabags – you can’t get any more Australian than this brand of ‘Koala Tea’ I came across. Australian Certified Organic tea, how cool !! Tastes pretty good too, Koalality tea indeed!

I stamped the silhouette of horse & cowboy onto a background created with Distress Stain sprays (Broken China, Rusty Hinge, and I think Hickory Smoke?) I chose the lighter end as I liked that the blue represented the sky, with still enough of the other colours to indicate a smoky fire from his tea being brewed, and picking up the orange brown of the teabag and label. I cut the right half of the background off to use for a future project.

I stamped the koala out, coloured him in using Distress re-inkers, then cut him out to position on card.

stamps: Tree Koala 4447E by Stamp-it; Trail Break by Crackerbox & Suzy Stamps


Koala Two

Susan Robinson
November 20, 2018



To colour or not to colour ? Hmm, that is the question…

die: Koala in Tree by Paper Rose

stamp: Gumnut Flower 4851E by Stamp-it


Koala in Tree

Susan Robinson
November 16, 2018


‘Koala in Tree’ 17730 by Paper Rose

I loved having a play with this new koala die I bought at the craft fair last week! The koala is actually just a solid shape, ostensibly his back view, but I drew some features on him to make it look like he was facing forwards.

To colour – I mixed some black & white acrylic paints together and applied to koala body with a stipple (flat ended) brush to create that mottled look. When dry I added some features with a black pencil, 2 dots of Black Accent for his eyes and used a white Sharpie pen for lines over ears. The remainder of die I coloured with watercolours, sponging sepia ink around edges of everything when finished.


Gathering at the Windmill

Susan Robinson
July 6, 2018


Keeping the colours fairly neutral for this one.

I first used various Distress Stains directly onto the rubber of wording stamp to colour, before flipping it over to stamp out onto kraft card. This is not a precise art, but try not to make the rubber too wet or you won’t be able to read the words at all. For a crisper result you could use water based texters instead.

I cut out the windmill and ‘kangaroo in forest’ dies in black card. The kangaroo one I cut up and only used part of it as you see. I then sponged around the edge of kraft card with sepia ink and matted it onto a larger piece of kraft card. Glued everything down except the kangaroo which I Magic Mounted.

I coloured the sails of the windmill with silver Rub-ons and attached a large silver brad to their center, which I had embossed with a combination of silver and black embossing powder.

I cut out a grass die in kraft card and attached along bottom of design. The echidna is a Carl punch. Smudged some copper Rub-on over kangaroo back and face. I applied some black Accent for his eye.

Matted finished card front onto dark green layer, then attached to folded mid-green backing card.


Kangaroo in Forest

Susan Robinson
July 4, 2018


Alcohol ink backgrounds with black silhouettes.

die: ‘Kangaroo in Forest’ 16948 by Paper Rose Studio.

stamp: ‘Good Planets’ D-752 by Print Blocks.

alcohol inks: Rust, Caramel, Butterscotch, Stream, Lettuce

For this background I applied puddles of alcohol inks onto a teflon mat, then swiped my Yupo paper through it. I then placed a few drops of Stream, Rust and Lettuce onto a thin cotton pad attached to an applicator tool, and proceeded to stamp randomly over the bottom half of card until all the white was covered. That’s how the pebble effect was created.

I cut out the ‘Kangaroo in Forest’ die in black and glued onto alcohol ink background card. Matt this onto wheat card, then butterscotch folded backing card.

I stamped out the planet stamp in black ink twice, then punched them out in a small and larger circle. I layered these on top of each other with a green circle in between, sponging all sides with sepia ink as I went. Line up along right side of card, cutting off slither of circle at right, then glue into place.


For this card I used similar alcohol ink colours, adding Cloudy Blue for the sky and did it landscape instead of portrait. When dry I poured Stream and Sunshine Yellow directly onto the paper to make the river and sun.

I cut the die out twice. I cut off the surrounding frame and cut them both at the base so I could elongate the image. I also flipped it over so that my bird was sitting over the sun.

I wrapped twine around base of card to add texture and help disguise join mark. Assemble layers. Stamp wording.